Tuesday, December 24, 2013

SHIRLEY MARTIN REMEMBERS KOREA

Hello Shirley,                                                     

Thank you so much for sharing

this small memory with us.

And we have to remember those who could not be home for Christmas this year. Those who are still deployed overseas to keep us safe.





   

 Born and raised during the Depression, I shared a very simple Christmas with my parents and three older brothers. I usually received about three gifts for Christmas, and it never even occurred to me to wonder why I didn't get more. My stocking usually held an orange, and apple, and some nuts.

    Now I'm going to jump ahead a few years to about 1950, during the Korean War. My oldest brother joined the Army about that time and was sent to Korea, where the war was fought under United Nations auspices. My mother got a Christmas package ready and sent it to him, but my mom and dad worried that the package wouldn't get there in time for the holiday.    
 
About that time, the Red Chinese entered the war on the side of North Korea and sent troops across the Chinese border with Korea. This offensive sent the Americans reeling back. And then we worried that my brother might not come home at all. 

    But my brother did come home, safe and sound. And I'm still not sure if he ever got the package. 

 

Shirley Martin

 
 

 I too remember the Korean war. Sad to say I lost a first cousin in that battle.
 
We have had many wars 'police actions' since. Bless all our troops and we pray for their safe return.
Peace on Earth, good will to men would truly be a miracle.
 
 

 

3 comments:

  1. It's interesting how our concerns can change so quickly. Glad your brother got home safely, Shirley!
    I remember always got an orange in the toe of my stocking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shirley,
    I am pleased that your brother got home safely from the war. That would have to be the greatest Christmas gift. I never got much in my Christmas stocking either, but was grateful for what I did get.
    Regards

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would think that society would learn something from all the wars - all the wives, mothers and sisters worrying about whether their men would return - all the blood and death and cruelty.

    Every time we remember, let's say a prayer for peace.

    ReplyDelete