Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A CHRISTMAS MEMORY BY ROSEANNE DOWELL

Hello Roseanne, and a Merry Christmas to you.

Thanks so much for stopping by to share one of your favorite Chrismas memories with us.

You take the easy chair by the tree and settle back with a nice cup of hot choclate  

  and tell us about your special memory.


Well, I’ve often said, there are so many memories from my past. Heck, when you get to be my age, there are tons of them. Besides all the ones from my childhood, there are ones from my early marriage, ones with my children and grandchildren, and now I’ll begin some with my great grandchildren. So which ones to write about? It’s a hard decision, but I’ll start from my childhood.


 
I remember growing up and my mother baking Christmas cookies beginning the day after Thanksgiving.

 
Oh the delicious aromas coming from the kitchen. Of course we got to help. Later in December, she baked poppy seed and nut rolls and eventually the little bread balls, we called balbaki, we used for our traditional Christmas Eve dinner.

On December 5th, we put our stockings out to celebrate the feast of St. Nicholas on December 6th. In the morning the stockings were filled with apples, oranges, and small toys or combs and hair barrettes,  sometimes a harmonica or jacks. 


We usually put our tree up around that time also. Maybe that’s why Christmas is my favorite holiday. My parents, especially my mom made it special. It wasn’t just a day, Christmas was a season, beginning the day after Thanksgiving.

My older brothers and sister were great about looking for gifts when my parents weren’t home. They often found them, also. I remember one year, we had a sleeper couch with storage for blankets and pillows underneath. Well, wouldn’t you know it, my brothers and sister decided to open it when my parents were out for an evening. Lo and behold, they found a magnetic football game. We played for an hour or so, then my brothers packed it back in the box and put it back in the couch just the way they found it. I don’t know if my parents suspected or knew they found it.

Hubby and I got married November 24, 1962. We rented a two bedroom double with access to the attic. I stored some Christmas stuff up stairs, but I often used the steps for packages after I went Christmas shopping.  It was easier than going all the way up.
Just before Christmas, hubby lost his wedding ring.     
We were both upset and I thought about buying him another one, but I really couldn’t afford it. He’d have to go ringless until I could replace it.

One day, I pulled my packages out to begin wrapping.


Lo and behold in one of them, I found hubby’s wedding ring. I guess some kids never grow up and snoop even as adults. I almost wrapped it up for him, but I couldn’t hold a secret that long. Besides, I wanted to pick on him about snooping, so I gave it to him that night.

I had a great time when he asked where I found it. I still tease him about it from time to time.                                                            


What a cute memory. I think there is a short story in there somewhere. lol.
Speaking of stories, please share you latest with us.




All in the Family by Roseanne Dowell
 
Taking over the police chief’s job in her hometown should have been easy for Callie Johnson. At least that's what she thought. After working in a big city, small town crime would be a breeze. What a surprise when she arrives to find her grandmother, the judge, accused of murder. As if that wasn't enough she’s attacked while walking to her car. Between criminal investigations, her nutty family’s antics and her Aunt Beatrice Lulu's matchmaking, Callie definitely has her work cut out for her. Will her grandmother be exonerated? Can Callie ward off her aunt’s unsuitable suitors? What other surprises were in store for her? More importantly, can she find the person who attacked her?
You can find the novel Here


Thank you again, Roseanne, for sharing with us today.
Folks, visit Roseanne's page to see more of her great books. I've enjoyed many of them.  Please go to Amazon Page  You won't be sorry.


Now, we do like comments, Readers, so please leave one for us today so we can do the happy dance with Santa and his reindeer. 

                    

 
 
 





 

7 comments:

  1. What fun Christmases your parents made for you. You were a lucky girl. Love the story about your husband's snooping. Christmas makes big kids of us all.

    Have a wonderful holiday, Rosanne. I'm sure you'll make it wonderful by using some of the techniques you picked up over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marva. Christmas was always special at our house. We didn't have a lot of money, but we sure had fun.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for letting me share some of my memories. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great memories, Roseanne. Hope you enjoy making new ones this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I always enjoy making new ones. I hope my kids will look back on their childhood days and have as many great memories as I have.

      Delete
  4. What a nice post to get us all in the holiday spirit! I started my Christmas cookie baking today, and the house smells divine. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love the smell of Christmas cookies. Haven't made any myserlf yet..

      Delete